SpaceX Launch Today

• Contributor

Update: Launch a success so far:

Elon Musk:
    ‏>@elonmusk
    5m5 minutes ago
    Upper stage restart nominal, apogee raised to 7000 km. Will spend 5 hours getting zapped in Van Allen belts & then attempt final burn for Mars.

Update: Delayed until 3:45pm EST

SpaceX, Elon Musk's outer space division is scheduled to launch today, February 6th at between 1330 and 1730 EST. One of Elon's personal cherry red Telsa cars will be the payload, strapped to the main drive. The launch will be from Florida Space Center.

The Falcon Heavy has enough propellant and explosive force to qualify as a 2 kiloton bomb. Should anything fail at launch, there will be nothing left of the launch pad. The planned orbit, should it get there (even Musk is unsure) will be an elliptical orbit between Earth and Mars. One has to wonder why to send a used Tesla up and put in orbit of the sun, creating space junk. All we can do it hope the launch does better than the market did the past few days.

A video animation of the planned flight can be found at:
    Youtube Video

To check the launch schedule, please visit:
    https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Watch it live:

Youtube Video

• Contributor

@woodman watch at 4:06

Youtube Video

I like it when great minds think alike...

• Contributor

@woodman It's both a matter of fuel AND payload. You could send 10g with a small rocket on mars, but sending 16-18t payload on the moon is another story. Ask the Apollo program about this, and try not to laugh at their answer.

• Contributor

@shitshitshit Maybe after September he will launch and land something on Mars. It's a long trip. If you have enough fuel, you can go almost anytime.

• Contributor

@woodman Musk sold us his car orbiting mars. So he should have waited for the right window to send it there right? The fact he doesn't is weird. Imagine you could send McAfee's dick in orbit around mars, would you send it in an undetermined orbit between earth and mars because you would be in a hurry, where nobody could see it, instead of waiting for the right time?

• Contributor

@shitshitshit

Or is there another clandestine passenger aboard this rocket, the like of this military spy satellite which mistakenly disappeared from the radar last time and that probably never was there to begin with? To me that would be the only reason behind this space stunt. That would be a very clever diversion...

Well, normally on first launches, as I've read in articles previously, they launch a block of concrete or metal.

I don't think there is enough propellant to decelerate for a landing on Mars. They also have no landing vehicle yet. I believe we aren't in the Hohmann transfer orbit range anyways (that's a specific method to get to another planet using least fuel). I think that starts in September, so an attempt to land on Mars launched today would waste fuel.

0_1517938320679_284a222c-89dc-465d-a61b-68fc56509c0e-image.png

• Contributor

@shitshitshit Well low earth orbit is a problem, but it's still quite large.0_1517936480614_7d043a13-ee2a-4e2d-8e53-5b67afb8db35-image.png

• Contributor

@woodman how's about the garbage stuck in lower orbits that really is a continuous risk to anything operational up there?

• Contributor

@shitshitshit I was thinking about space junk also. One thing is that space is big. You could randomly (didn't do the math) blast millions of junk cars in that orbit area, and the chances of hitting one are still zero.

• Contributor

@woodman I don't know if this is sheer hubris or if there's something more to this than promoting himself, his cars and his rockets. Who foots the bill?

What's the use of all of this? Putting roughly 1.5t in a fuzzy elliptical orbit (which basically means: "fire and forget and keep our fingers crossed") between earth and mars, so what's the point? Showing that we can't put Apollo 5 payload on the moon again, and demonstrating we never went there in the first place? Because this is going to be the net result of this jingoistic maneuver.

Moreover, Musk sold us a car orbiting mars if my memory serves me well, not a lousy undetermined elliptical orbit between the earth and mars. That's lame (but at least they can hide a failure with this kind of trick). Ain't there enough propellant to finish their journey in this flying tin can?

Or is there another clandestine passenger aboard this rocket, the like of this military spy satellite which mistakenly disappeared from the radar last time and that probably never was there to begin with? To me that would be the only reason behind this space stunt. That would be a very clever diversion...

Anyway, next time you fly into space, mind the collisions with cars and various leftovers from the past. I suppose this might give the expression "blast from the past" a whole new meaning...

• Contributor

If it's anything like last time, it will be deemed a success. Nevermind what happens to the cherry red Tesla..

©Ponzied.com 2018

Looks like your connection to PØNZ1€D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.